How long does it take to register a charity?
It takes an average of 30 days for a charity registration application to be processed. It will take longer if you have not supplied all of the information we need to make a decision, eg:
- a signed trustee declaration
- your organisation’s governing document
- proof of that your organisation’s income is £5,000 or more
- certificate of incorporation (if applicable)
It may also take longer than average if we need to consider your application in more detail, eg:
- if your organisation has new or unusual purposes
- if there is significant private benefit
- if you have not provided full details of your organisation’s activities
- you have not demonstrated how your organisation’s aims are for public benefit
We will contact you if we need more information.
Registering your charity This guide explains when and how to register your charity once you have set it up.