What are the responsibilities of a trustee?
As a trustee you and the other trustees manage and administer the charity. You may also be known as directors, board members, governors or committee members.
It is your role to accept responsibility for directing the affairs of the charity and that it delivers its charitable objects. You need to keep in mind the following areas of responsibility:
- preparing trustees annual reports and submitting annual return forms and accounts
- compliance with the rules of your charity as set out in the governing document
You also must ensure your charity is run carefully, by making sure it:
- uses its charitable funds and assets wisely to further its charitable aims
- doesn’t do anything to put its property, funds, assets or reputation at risk
- takes appropriate care and advice when investing or borrowing money
- The Essential Trustee: What you need to know (CC3)
- Charity accounting and reporting
- Charity governance